Sunday, July 21, 2013

Delafield to Milwaukee

I miss real maps. We have cue sheets generated by Google, and when possible, I try to look at a map on the computer, but last night we didn't have a good connection, so I didn't check out the route.  Although I didn't recognize the road and trail names, after about 10 miles I figured out where I was, quite near where my brother lived.  We could have taken a more pleasant and easier route to that point, which I would have known immediately if I had looked at a real map that showed roads and bike trails.

That said, I had been very nervous about biking into Milwaukee, but the rest of the way in to the city, as well as seeing the sights by bike, was an absolute blast!  
Waukesha County has a fine new system of bike trails.  As you can see, they aren't exactly scenic routes, but they are highly functional.  The power company gave right of way to the county park system to develop trails on their land, and I believe the company also maintains the trails, which are well paved, well marked, and link directly into Milwaukee County trails, so we rolled easily into the city.
I have crossed both of these bridges many times, the first the Milwaukee skyway, and the second the bridge to the airport, but I have never seen either from these angles.

We saw the Milwaukee Art Museum from all sides.  Does it look like a butterfly or a boat?


And my treat for the day, from a custard stand I had eyed when visiting the city by car just a few weeks ago.



No comments:

Post a Comment