Tuesday, July 23, 2013

A day full of treats

We covered about 54 miles today, making our way inland from Muskegon to Rockford, Michigan, again mainly on trails.  Here in Michigan the trails are nicely paved, while crossed many roads are not. Go figure.  We rolled along easily, a tailwind helping some of the way, with the temperature only in the 70's!
We stopped about 11 at a little store in a little town, where we found serve yourself soft ice cream.  The first group of riders informed me that any amount of ice cream was only $1.  When I went up to pay, the man at the cash register said "Nice lady, no money."  What a nice way to start the day.  A little later on, I spotted a roadside stand featuring Traverse City sweet cherries.  They were the best cherries I have ever had, and the quart box was quickly emptied by always hungry bikers.  Of course, we had to stop at Arnie's, a pastry shop well known in the area, to see if it deserved its reputation.  The chocolate cake was good, but the pastry shop in Minneapolis still wins.
The group is staying tonight in a country church, surrounded on three sides by cornfields, and across the road from a lovely old cemetery, with graves going back to 1810.  Several church members brought in supper and stayed to talk to us.  They were good cooks, and I realized this was my first home-cooked dinner since we left Minneapolis.  I have to count the oven-fried chicken on my long treat list for the day.  I sure hope the riding and the eating come out even.
     Heading down the Muskatawa Trail

     The ice cream cone that lured us to the friendly store.


     Bamboo?   Look again.



 

1 comment:

  1. I'm loving following your blog every day! I especially love the photos of the treats. Thank you so much for posting all of this! Mandy loved hearing about the Michigan cherries-- she grew up in Michigan (including, for a short time, near Traverse City), and she's very proud of the cherries there!

    ReplyDelete