Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Catching up

Between weak wi-fi connections and busy days off, I'm behind on my blog.  On Monday, July 15, we rode from Frontenac to Winona, Minnesota, with a brief foray into Wisconsin and back.  We were within sight of the Mississippi virtually the whole way, with spectacular views of water and bluffs.
We had a day off on Tuesday, a bit early in the trip, but Winona, MN offers a lot to see and do.  My down day was more wearing than the biking days, I think.  The town has a good, small art museum; my favorites were a Georgia O'Keefe and a Jamie Wyeth.  In addition, as a result of wealth in the late 18th and early 19th centuries, there are many architecturally interesting houses and public buildings, and several feature outstanding stained glass windows.  The photo is of a Tiffany window in one of the banks.  And to top things off, our visit coincided with the Great River Shakespeare Festival, and we were able to get tickets for a production of Twelfth Night.  Some of it was Shakespeare meets the Three Stooges, definitely played for laughs with some good comic acting.
Did I mention it is hot out here, too.  We hit the road at 7 am this morning to cover the 57 miles to Sparta, WI  and are aiming for 6 am tomorrow to beat the heat.  Fortunately, today we were on shady rail trails most of the way, and I wear white "arm coolers" which I wet down frequently, while also drinking lots and lots of water.  And of course, there's nothing like a chocolate soda at the end of the ride to give me good memories of another fine day.  I had to drink some of it first  to give me strength to take the picture.







No comments:

Post a Comment