Thursday, July 25, 2013

Christmas in Germany

Long straight roads, cool temperatures, bright blue sky, and I flew over 68 miles today.  We left Alma with jackets on, but soon I was comfortable in short sleeves.  We had been warned that we were riding through farming country, with only one place to find food along the way, and I managed to miss it.  I think it was because it was the Nixon Store, and I still have an aversion to the name.  I did impress our group leader with my speediness; hopefully my legs will move tomorrow.
I was speeding not just because it was a great day to ride hard, but because my cousins Gil and Miriam, who live about 45 minutes from our destination of Frankenmuth, were driving down to meet me.  It was great fun to see them come into the parking lot, and we had time for a good visit.
Frankenmuth is a tourist destination in central Michigan, displaying its Bavarian heritage, German food, music, dirndls, lederhosen, and beer.  It was a bit much.  The town also boasts that it has the country's largest Christmas store.  I couldn't bring myself to go in, but rode through the parking lot accompanied by Christmas carols on the loud speakers, to look at some of the outdoor directions.
Tonight marks the halfway point of the ride, with a few people departing, and four newcomers joining us for the second half of the ride.  Our wonderful support team, who have spoiled us with great lunches, including filling requests for particular foods and getting us local specialities, are leaving us to return to their home in Lansing.  We hope the young woman joining us will continue the traditions we have come to enjoy.
     One of our long, straight roads today.

       Old schoolhouse along the road

       A surprising sight as I drove into town
    KC and Joe, our wonderful support team



No comments:

Post a Comment