Monday, June 27, 2016

Wheat fields and cous cous

We had a hot 50 mile ride today.  Leaving the Columbia River Valley meant a tough five mile climb up to high agricultural land.  Guess I had better get used to the heat.  I tried out a gel filled neck wrap which you soak in water so that it stays wet a long time.  It was great-- my own portable AC unit.

Miles of long straight road after we climbed out of the river valley.  

A beautiful field of canola (or maybe mustard) amid all the wheat fields.

Fledgling western king birds in a tree near our lunch spot.  The young ones never moved, parents flew in and out, and we had a lovely warbling accompaniment to our meal.

A picture doesn't do justice to this marvelous ice cream soda from an old fashioned soda fountain.  The young woman serving had no idea how to make a soda, so I taught her, just the way I like it, of course.

When we have facilities available, we take turns making dinner for the group.  I had a great crew helping me prepare vegetable cous cous, complete with fresh local apricots.  The men cleaned up.



No comments:

Post a Comment