Saturday, June 11, 2016

Can You Go the Distance?

Last Sunday's sermon title was most appropriate, and my response was "I hope so."  A week from today I will fly to Seattle to join up with a bike group which will set off for points east.  I expect to arrive in Pittsburgh on August 17.  No, I don't know how many miles it is, and I wonder about a few other how many's -- flat tires, peanut butter sandwiches, ice cream cones, new friends?  I will be with leaders Nancy and Ken Wright and many familiar faces from the rides I did in 2013 and 2014.  Those trips were each a month long, and I wasn't ready to have them end.  We'll see how I feel after two months.  I'm excited, and more than a bit apprehensive. 
  
I put in a few miles of training rides, including getting into practice seeking out fine treats along the way, before I shipped my bike the day before yesterday.  Now I'm sorting what I will take and doing all the miscellany that an extended trip entails.  I hope to be reunited with my bike on June 20, so look for more posts after that.




2 comments:

  1. Good luck! Will be rooting for you.
    Related: Not gonna put up her name here, but if you run into a young woman (about 20 yrs old) from Nashville who is doing a west-east ride (yours I'm guessing?), she may be my former Vanderbilt dorm-mate's daughter. Pretty impressive young lady. Hope you two meet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margaret, how exciting and amazing that you're embarking on this long journey by bike! I'm sure you'll have terrific adventures, which I look forward to reading about in your blog.

    ReplyDelete