Thursday, June 30, 2016

Way to go, Idaho!

My first time in Idaho.  We rode 61 miles today, from Spokane to Harrison, Idaho, a lovely little town on Lake Coeur d'Alenes.  It is also right on the Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes, a 65 mile rail trail which was constructed with Superfund money, cleaning up the tailings left from the mining industry in the area.  Our innkeepers told us that this town and others along the lake were nearly deserted before the trail brought thousands of bikers each summer.

Getting out of a major city is always messy.  I took that a bit too literally this morning and sank up to my ankles in wet, muddy sand as we were walking our bikes through a construction site.  My fellow riders donated still cold water from their water bottles, a great sacrifice on a hot day, to clean up my bike while I asked the friendly driver of the construction sprayer truck if I could clean the mud off my feet and shoes.

We rode the nicely named Valley Chapel road this morning, through pine forest and along a stream, then climbed for about three miles to be greeted by this vista.  

The trailhead of the Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes is a memorial to warriors of the local tribes killed in US wars, including those killed in the Battle of Steptoe in 1858.  The Native Americans were the victors of that battle, but it quickly led to their total subjugation.

When we asked this young man what he was fishing for, he answered, "Fish."

The servings were indeed huge, and most welcome after a hot ride.  I missed out on marionberry pie at lunch, as it was sold out, but had some quite acceptable rhubarb pie instead.  Alas, rhubarb pie does not photograph well.

Sunset view from the lawn of our B&B








No comments:

Post a Comment