Saturday, August 10, 2013

What will I do tomorrow?

When I signed up for this trip, I thought to myself that I hadn't been ready for previous, shorter trips
to end, but after a month I surely would have had enough.  Not so.  I could start the trip all over again tomorrow.  Of course, from Boston the prevailing winds are from the wrong direction, so I guess I have to get on the bus back to Washington tomorrow.
Our final day was an absolutely perfect day for biking.  We rode 57 miles into Boston on our longest cue sheet of the trip, 105 turns!  It was a great route, as it kept us off of main roads, while taking us past Lexington and Concord, through woods, along ponds and rivers, and past many lovely historic houses.  It just wasn't long enough.
I have enjoyed writing my blog, thinking about what makes each day special for me, and trying to share  at least some of it.  What I can't convey is the friendship and comradrie of the group, from the help with bike problems, spreading word of good places to shop, having someone ask if you have laundry because he is heading to the laundromat, or just sitting together and reviewing the highlights, and sometimes low lights of everyone's day.  And then there is the sense that my bike is part of me, even going up hill.   Stay tuned, as I hope I will have more adventures to share in the future.

Minute Man statue at Old North Bridge

Louisa May Alcott's home, also in Cambridge

Congratulations message from Ken near the end of the ride

Susan and Ziva by the Charles River at the end of the ride

The Corner Gang, as we call ourselves, as at least one of us is always hanging out at a corner waiting for the others to ride up.






2 comments:

  1. Congrats! Been following each post. Hope you can find a good ice cream there in B-town to finish things off. We're proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an incredible trip! I'm almost teary seeing it over, so I can imagine how you all are feeling! Thanks for sharing so much of it with us! Wow! Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete