Thursday, August 1, 2013

Blue sky and blue water

Many of my pictures from the last two days are remarkably similar: beautiful scenes of blue skies and blue water.  On Tuesday we biked 67 miles from Port Dover to Wainfleet, and much of the route was within sight of Lake Erie.  Once again the weather gods blessed us with a perfect day, which added sparkles to the water.  Beautiful as it was, it didn't always smell very good.  We think the strong winds on the previous days tossed a few dead fish onto the shore.
This morning we reluctantly left a lovely, peaceful Jesuit retreat house to ride 42 miles to Niagara Falls, my first time here.  I was prepared for lots of tourists, but not for the boardwalk, carnival, anything to get your money atmosphere that extends  back several blocks from the falls.  My friends Susan and Ziva rode in together with me, and we stopped to take pictures near Horseshoe Falls.  Three old ladies with bikes seemed to be as interesting as the Falls, and we spent about an hour talking to people from Germany, the Philippines, Malta, and the USA, most of whom took pictures of us!  The Falls is a spectacular sight, but I think I will remember the people.
One of many beautiful views of the lake.

Susan and Ziva playing on the beach.

I guess they got tired of enjoying the view.

Relaxing again

Ken, one of our leaders, doing a bike repair clinic after dinner.

A fine morning treat at a cafe by the lake in Fort Erie.

Arriving at Niagara Falls






No comments:

Post a Comment